Saturday 3 April 2010

About ten days ago "Unsung Ambassadors" - the project I wrote with Amer Farooq and Waqar Gillani after ICFJ workshop in Alexandria, Egypt - got published in Italy, in Italian language. After its publication online by one of the leading newspapers called "l'Unità", it was picked up by several blogs and media outlets.

I received many feedbacks and comments on it, especially from immigrants, coming not only from Pakistan, and living in different regions in Italy. They appreciated the fact that media covered their condition without depicting them as criminal or religiuos fanatics. They appreciated the chance to speak by their own voice.

I had many feedbacks from Italian people too: from people working with immigrants for integration and mutual understanding, but also from people who could see immigration from a different point of view. They asked me to write more stories about these topics and that's what I'm trying to do.

I realized that many immigrants like talking about their own experience in Italy and share their perceptions and opinions about Italians and life in Italy. They also have stereotypes and prejudices towards Italians.

Unfortunately, the piece was picked up also by some blogs and websites promoting racism and hatred towards immigrants. This made me work even harder to go beyond prejudices and help shifting people's perspective, making diversity an asset and not a barrier. I believe that as journalists we have powerful tools - words - and a big responsibility, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment